Monday 6 August 2012

Hotel Etiquette

I stay at a lot of hotels, it's the nature of my job.  Here are a few ideas on how to behave to make every bodies stay more pleasant.

Firstly be friendly to staff.  If you are having a bad day, don't take it out on them and make them grumpy. I may be the next person in line and I don't want to hear them complain about their last customer or take their frustration out on me.

Lifts are an annoyance. Yes we must wait for them, but chances are if you are waiting then it is in use.  This means wait for the doors to open and see if anybody gets out before you get in. Don't try and  run through the door the moment it opens and be surprised when you walk into somebody coming the other way.  The lift doors will remain open long enough to allow people both in and out.  On the same note if you do have lots of bags, be organized and ready to go and do not expect that you may take up a whole lift carriage to you and your three bags.

While in the lift do not talk to me.  I don't care that you once flew Qwackadoo Airlines and had a bad experience, we don't discriminate, we give everybody a bad ride.  I also dont care that you think I have a good job or you have a friend who is a pilot, I just want to get to my room.

Left over room service trays are best left next to your door and not spread across the hall way.  Grazing on the left overs is not recycling or being environmentally friendly, it is being cheap.

In your room have fun, but keep the noise down.  There is nothing worse than the people in the next room having a loud party when your are trying to sleep, nobody wants to be flown by a tired pilot.  On the other hand if there is a party going on, why not invite yourself over.

Finally clean up.  Yes I know the hotels have cleaners, well sort of.  Please don't leave your half eaten sandwich in the minibar, it is not what I want to find reaching for a beer, or used tissue stuffed behind the bedside table. Do however feel free to make towel monkeys and leave friendly (repeat friendly) notes hidden in the toilet paper roll.



Follow these rules and we will get on fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment